We're now owned by Octopus Energy
Last updated: 4 December 2023
We’d like to share an update with our customers about Octopus Energy’s purchase of Shell Energy’s home energy and broadband business. If you’re a customer, you may have questions about what this means for your account.
Shell Energy Retail Limited in the UK is wholly owned and fully operated by Octopus Energy Limited. As of 1 December 2023, Shell Energy Retail Limited is no longer a part of the Shell Group of Companies.
First, we want to assure you that you don’t need to do anything right now. We’ll be writing to all our customers from today, with more information about what the sale means for them - and sharing the latest updates on this page.
We’re still operating as usual, and our friendly Shell Energy teams are on hand to help you. Until your account migrates to Octopus Energy, there’s no need to contact them, and:
- Your energy supply or broadband and phone service won’t be affected in any way
- You’ll continue to receive email, letters, and bills from us
- Your Direct Debit will continue to work, and there’s no need to cancel it
- You can still manage your account in My Account and on the Shell Energy app
- If you’re eligible for support payments such as the Warm Home Discount, they’ll still be added to your account
- If you’ve got an appointment to have a smart meter installed, our partners will be there to do the work. You can still book an appointment, too
It’s best not to switch over yourself before your account is transferred to Octopus. This is because it prevents them from accessing your historical account information, such as bills and meter readings.
Please rest assured that we’re focused on making sure the transition is seamless. Octopus have considerable experience of migrating customers, so your account will be in safe hands.
Questions and answers
1. Will I still get 100% renewable electricity?
Yes, Octopus provides all customers with 100% renewable electricity.
2. Will my tariff prices change?
If you’re on a flexible (standard variable) tariff with us, its rates are set by Ofgem’s price cap every three months. The price cap changes on 1 January, and as usual, you’ll soon be contacted with details about what this means for your bill.
3. Will my fixed energy tariff be honoured by Octopus?
Yes, it will. Your prices won’t change, the terms of your contract will be honoured, and when your contract period is due to end you’ll be given plenty of notice.
4. Will my account number stay the same?
Nothing changes right now, and you don’t need to do anything. Over the coming months, Octopus will share your new account details with you.
5. Should I go ahead and switch my service to Octopus?
You don’t need to do anything. Over the coming months, Octopus will transfer your account seamlessly in the background - so you won’t need to lift a finger.
6. If I have a problem, do I call Shell Energy customer services or Octopus?
Shell Energy’s dedicated and experienced customer service team is still here to help with customer enquiries. Find the most convenient way to contact us.
7. Will I still be able to get support from Shell Energy through the Helpfund?
While you’re a Shell Energy customer, you should contact us if you’re struggling with your bill - a member of our friendly team can see where our Helpfund can be of use. Once you’ve moved to Octopus, you can get in touch with them and apply for help through their Octopus Assist fund.
8. Do I need to change my Direct Debit with Shell Energy?
If you pay by Direct Debit, there’s no need to cancel it. Octopus will automatically transfer your Direct Debit at the right time. Your payment will be taken on the same day each month and will continue to be assessed regularly, to make sure you’re paying the right amount for your energy.
9. My account is in credit, will that be carried over to my Octopus account?
Rest assured, your account credit will not be affected and remains your money. You’ll continue to pay for the energy you use, so you’ll see your balance change as usual each month as charges and payments are made.
10. Will my prepayment meter still work normally?
Yes, your top-up card or key will work as usual. If you have a smart prepayment meter, you can also continue to top up online and in the Shell Energy Top Up app.
11. What does this mean for broadband customers?
If you’re a Shell Energy Broadband customer, nothing changes for now. You’ll stay a Shell Energy customer, your service won’t be interrupted, and we’re still here to support you.
12. Will smart meter installation appointments still go ahead?
Yes. You can still book appointments, all of which will be honoured along with all existing appointments.
13. I’ve got an open complaint with Shell Energy, can Octopus take it over?
Octopus won’t be able to access details of your complaint until your account has been transferred to them, so the best thing to do is keep talking to us so we can resolve the issue. If your complaint is still open after you become an Octopus customer, they’ll continue to help you achieve that resolution.
14. What happens with the Shell Go+ fuel discount?
Customers who joined or renewed with us before 5 October are still eligible for the 3% fuel discount, and will be contacted at the end of their contract term.
If you joined us or renewed an existing contract with us on or after 5th October 2023, you won’t be eligible for the 3% fuel saving. But you can still join the Shell Go+ rewards programme and enjoy its benefits.