Octopus is buying Shell Energy
Last updated: 20 November 2023
Octopus is buying Shell Energy's home and broadband business.
If you’re a Shell Energy home or Shell Energy Broadband customer, we want to assure you that you don’t need to do anything right now.
The sale will be subject to regulatory approval, and this can take time to go through. Once the deal is complete, we’ll then be owned by Octopus.
At that point, we’ll keep you posted about any changes. But rest assured, we’re focused on making sure the transition is seamless for customers.
We’re operating as usual, and you won’t notice anything different:
- Your energy supply or broadband and phone service won’t be affected
- Your account number will stay the same
- You’ll continue to receive email, letters, and bills from us
- Your Direct Debit will continue to work
- If you’ve got an appointment to have a smart meter installed, our partners will be there to do the work
- Our friendly teams are on hand to help you
When anything happens that you need to know about, we’ll get in touch to share updates and explain what they mean for you and your account.
Questions and answers
1. Will customers still receive 100% renewable electricity?
Yes, our customers will continue to receive 100% renewable electricity.
2. What does the sale mean for broadband customers?
Nothing changes right now - you won't lose connectivity, and you’ll still be able to rely on our experienced, expert team for customer support. If anything changes that you need to know about, we’ll update you.
3. Will I still be able to get support from Shell Energy through the Helpfund?
The Helpfund is still available to Shell Energy customers. Octopus also has a hardship fund, so customers will always have access to support when they need it.
4. Will my account number stay the same?
We’ll work with Octopus to seamlessly transfer your account over in the background, and they’ll get in touch with your new account number when it’s ready.
5. If I have a problem, do I call Shell Energy customer services or Octopus?
Shell Energy’s dedicated and experienced customer service team is here to help with customer enquiries. Find the best way to contact us.
6. Should I go ahead and switch to Octopus?
No, you don’t need to do anything. We’ll work with Octopus to transfer over your account seamlessly in the background, and you’ll be kept up to date as this happens.
7. My account is in credit, will that be carried over to my Octopus account?
Rest assured that any credit on your account remains your money and won’t be affected.
8. Do I need to change my Direct Debit?
No, please don’t cancel your Direct Debit. You should continue to pay your bill using your preferred method. When the time comes, your Direct Debit will be automatically transferred to Octopus.
9. Will my prepayment top-up card still work normally?
Yes, it will. And if you have a smart prepayment meter, you can also top up online and in the Shell Energy app.
10. Will Shell Energy continue to offer fixed tariffs at this time?
We’ll continue to offer fixed tariffs whenever they're available.
11. Will existing fixed energy tariff T&Cs be honoured by Octopus?
Nothing changes right now - but if anything changes that you need to know about, we’ll update you.
12. Will smart meter installation appointments still go ahead?
Yes. You can still book appointments, all of which will be honoured along with all existing appointments. Learn more about smart meters and book an installation.
13. Does the change of ownership affect Shell Energy business customers?
No. Only Shell Energy's home and broadband business operations are affected.