There's a problem with my gas supply

Do you smell gas or are you concerned about your gas safety?

  • Call National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999 (free of charge and open 24 hours).
  • Ventilate your property by opening all doors and windows.
  • Don’t use any electrical equipment within your property (including light switches/mobile phones).
  • Don’t have any naked flames.
  • Turn off the gas using the emergency control valve by your meter (it’s normally turned off when the handle is at a right angle to the pipe).

I can smell gas and my meter was installed within the last 10 days.

I can’t smell gas, but I’m having a problem with an internal appliance.

There’s a problem with my electricity supply

The first thing you need to do is to check your fuse box. If any of the fuses have tripped:

  • Turn off your appliances
  • Reset the switch

If your fuse hasn't tripped and your neighbours don't have power either, there may be an issue with the wider network. In this situation you can call '105' which will take you straight through to your electricity network operator.

If you're on the Priority Services Register, use the phone number that was given to you when you joined the scheme, as this will ensure your property is prioritised.

Remember: Cordless phones won't work in a power cut, so you'll need to use a landline or mobile phone to make the call.

For more information about what to do in a power cut, visit and have a read of our blog for tips on staying safe during a power cut.

There are no problems on the wider network, what do I do now?

If the Distribution Network Operator has told you that there’s no problem with the wider network:

  • Get in touch with us on 0330 094 5800 and we'll investigate for you.
  • If a problem is identified which requires our attention, we'll let you know the next steps to get you back on supply with us. This may require an emergency visit to your home.

If you’ve had a meter installed within the last 10 days and your neighbours haven’t reported a loss of power:

  • Get in touch with us so we can look into it.
  • We’ll inform our service partner, who’ll investigate the matter further.