You shouldn't normally have to take a reading from your smart meter, as they send your readings to us automatically. However, there may be some instances where you’d need to send us your readings. The steps below will guide you on how to do this.
The information is for our existing Shell Energy installed SMETS1 and SMETS2 smart meters. If your meter was installed by a different supplier, the way you retrieve a reading may differ. Click here if your meter was installed by another supplier.
Unsure on your Shell Energy meter type?
- SMETS2 meters will only have an ‘A’ and ‘B’ button.
- SMETS1 meters will contain a numeric pad ranging from 1-9.
SMETS2 guide to taking a manual meter reading
- Locate the reading menu by pressing button B until you see “Total...” or “TOU...” displayed. This means that you're in the ‘Reads’ menu.
- Now press button A to scroll through the ‘Reads’ menu, seeing ‘Total Active Import kWh’, ‘Total Active Export kWh’, ‘TOU Rate 1’, etc, options. Your meter reading that is used for billing will be TOU Rate 1 for single-rate tariffs, or both TOU Rate 1 and TOU Rate 2 for two-rate tariffs.
- Press any button to wake up the display or navigate to the default display, for your meter reading in cubic meters (m3).
SMETS1 Guide to taking a manual meter reading
- Pressing button ‘9’ once on the meter's keypad will supply reading information.
- A single button press will show the total read for use if you have a single rate tariff, displayed as “IMP kWh” followed by the read itself in kWh. This will time out after about four seconds and move to the next screen.
- Additional presses of button ‘9’ on the keypad (or waiting for the auto-scroll) will scroll through additional displays, including ‘Export energy’.
- Pressing button ‘9’ on the meter's keypad will supply read information.
- A single button press will show your total read used for billing purposes, displayed as “VOLUME” followed by the read itself in m3.