I’m thinking of leaving, what do I need to do?
We’re sorry that you’re thinking of leaving us. We don’t want to see you go, but we’ll make everything as smooth as possible for you. Please call us on 0330 094 5800 or chat with us online to start the process and we’ll talk through your options.
Is there an exit fee for leaving?
- Yes - if you’re on one of our fixed tariffs and leave before the end of your fixed period, you may be charged an exit fee depending on when your tariff expires. You'll see this in the charges section of your final bill
- No - if you’re on one of our fully flexible tariffs, you won’t be charged an exit fee as you’re not tied to a fixed period
What happens next?
Once you've registered with another supplier, you’ll start your switch away from us. There are a few steps before your Shell Energy account is closed:
- You’ll submit your opening readings to your new supplier, to open your account
- Once your readings have been validated by the industry against previous ones, they’ll be sent to us, so we can close your account
- When we’ve received your readings we’ll close your account and produce your final bill (your final readings will have an ‘F’ next to them)
- We aim to produce your final bill within six weeks of you leaving us
- If there’s an outstanding balance, or credit, you’ll see this on your gas and electricity statement
- There will be a payment due date on your bill for you to pay your outstanding balance.
- If there’s a credit balance left on your account, you’ll receive a refund automatically within 10 working days of your final bill being issued
- If you’ve been paying by Direct Debit, we’ll automatically send your refund to your bank account within 10 working days of issuing your final bill
- If you pay on receipt of bill, we’ll send you a cheque within 10 working days of issuing your final bill
And that’s it; your Shell Energy account will be closed and you’ll continue with your new supplier.
You’ll still be able to access your online account to view bills and make payments on your account after we’ve closed it. Please note that when you log in, you’ll notice a pop-up box reminding you that you’re no longer a customer - simply close it to continue.
I haven’t requested to leave
If you’ve been informed of a switch that you didn’t request, your supply may have switched by mistake. There are few reasons why this can happen, including:
- Incorrect details were entered on an application form
- Incorrect details for your property are on the national database (most common with new builds/flats)
If this has happened to you, call us on 0330 094 5800 or chat with us online.
You objected to my switch to a new supplier
There are a few reasons why we’d object to your switch:
- Outstanding debt on your account.
- You haven’t been with us for more than 28 days.
If the issue is related to a debt on your account, the objection will be lifted if you pay the outstanding charges within 30 working days (from the date we told you we were objecting to your switch away).
For more information about why your switch has been stopped, or if you don’t agree with the objection, call us on 0330 094 5800 or chat with us online.