Before you can become a Shell Energy customer, we need to check your credit rating. This is also known as a credit score. We’re not the only energy supplier to do this – it’s common industry practice.
Why do you need to check my credit rating?
The credit rating check process confirms:
- That you actually live at the property you’re hoping to switch to us
- The previous addresses you may have occupied
- That you are who you say you are
- Your credit score
Your details are secure – we don’t keep such sensitive information about potential customers on record.
What if I don’t pass the credit check?
If, for any reason, you fail to pass, this doesn’t mean you can’t be our customer. It does mean that we’ll have to ask you for a security deposit before we can welcome you to Shell Energy.
Remember, if you’ve already applied to become a customer and we require a security deposit, we'll contact you.
Where can I learn more about credit ratings?
- Access your individual credit report and read free advice about improving your credit rating by visiting: http://www.callcredit.co.uk/contact-us/consumer-enquiries
- Search the internet for ‘credit rating’. You’ll find lots of useful information about your credit rating status and hints on how to improve it.