The short answer is yes. All our smart meters are certified to strict security standards and are operated according to UK and EU safety regulations.
How will you use the information from my smart meter?
We use readings from your smart meter to:
- Send you accurate bills
- Calculate your monthly Direct Debit amount
- Give you personalised energy-saving advice through My Energy
- Send you quotes for our other tariffs
- Regularly update your energy usage graph so you can keep track of how much you’re spending
How often do you collect a reading?
We can collect your readings half hourly, daily, or monthly, to suit you. You can tell us how often you’d like us to collect your readings either when we install the meter or afterwards.
The default setting is for daily readings, but if you reset it to half hourly, you’ll get more useful energy-saving information.
Is my data secure?
Watch our video to find out more about how we use and store the data from your smart meter.
Will you share my information with anybody?
We never sell your information and will only share information about your energy usage with:
- Network operators – we work with them to supply your energy
- Law enforcement agencies – to prevent fraud or help criminal investigations
- Opinion Matters – a research agency we work with to make sure we’re following industry regulations. They might contact you after your smart meter installation to ask you some questions about how it went. Your responses will be kept anonymous and they won’t share your information.
Want to know more about smart meters?
Find out more about the benefits of smart meters and sign up to have one installed in your home – Smart meters