Prepayment meters are right for some people, and less so for others. So you have the full picture, here are a few of the down sides.
- To keep your energy going, your meter will always need to be in credit. If not, your supply might turn off. Also, standing charges come out every day, all year round.
- If you’re away for a few days, you’ll need to top your meter in advance. That’s to cover any standing charges, and make sure your energy stays on (e.g. for your fridge or freezer).
- You’ll usually have to top up more in the winter, when it’s colder.
- If you lose your top up card, you’ll need to order a new one from us. You might have to pay for a new one too.
- Prepayment tariffs might cost a little more. That’s because they cost more for us set up and run.