If you've changed your name, we'll need to update your account. Before we can do this, we need to see some documentation confirming your name change. 

If you recently got married, we need to see a copy of your marriage certificate.

If you’ve changed your name through deed poll, we’ll need either a copy of the deed poll, or your updated passport or UK driving licence.

The easiest way to update your name is to contact us with your documents.