If someone is self-isolating or is unable to visit their local PayPoint outlet due to coronavirus (COVID-19), they might ask you to top up their key/card for them. These are the steps you should take to protect yourself, and the person you’re topping up for.
When you pick up someone's key or card to top up for them, ask them to:
- Wash their hands and remove the key or card from their meter
- Gently wipe down the top up key or card
- Put the key or card in an envelope or bag
- Include a note in the envelope or bag with:
- The name and address of a PayPoint nearby
- Which meter to top up (gas, electricity or both)
- How much to top up each meter
For cash top ups, ask them to put the cash in the envelope and specify the amount they would like topped up.
For cashless top ups, they should include a note with more details:
- For electricity top ups - an 8 digit reference code (also called a TAG code)
- When you arrive at the person’s home, stand a safe distance from the door and ask them to leave the envelope or bag on the doorstep. Wait for them to go back inside before you pick it up.
If the person you’re topping up for hasn’t given you the details of where to top up, you’ll find PayPoint Outlets in local corner shops, newsagents, supermarkets and garages. You can also find the nearest PayPoint outlets here. Look out for the yellow logo outside the shop, in the window or at the counter. Before you make the trip, call the shop or check online to make sure it’s open at this time.
Hand over the key or card at the counter and pay for the top up
Once you’re in your local PayPoint, walk to the counter and explain that you’d like to top up the key/card. Confirm how much you’d like to pay to top up.
For an electricity key, you can add up to £49 per transaction, up to a limit of £255 in total. There is no top up limit on a gas card.
The cashier will top up the key or card, and after taking your payment, return the key/card to you with a receipt.
Check the receipt once you’ve topped up
If it shows ‘Credit failed’ or ‘Cancelled’, your top up hasn’t been successful. Ask the cashier for assistance. Once you’ve successfully topped up, put the key/card and the receipt back in the envelope or bag.
Safely hand back the key or card
Ring the doorbell, and leave the key/card on the doorstep. Make sure to keep a safe distance from the door and check the person you’re topping up for has received the envelope or bag. Ask them to wipe the key/card before they add the credit to their meter and wash their hands again afterwards.
Contact us if you need help
It’s important that people have energy in their homes. If you have any issues or you're worried that the person you’re topping up for might lose their energy supply, ask them to contact us.