There are three options available if you want to appoint someone to act on your behalf:

Delegated Authority

You can nominate a friend or relative to help manage your account. The third party can receive copies of bills and can pay the bills, but does not become liable for them.

Power of Attorney

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) gives the attorney the same power to manage the account as the account holder. We will need a property and financial affairs LPA form that has been completed, signed and registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before we can appoint the attorney.


If a person has not created an LPA and loses mental capacity, the Court of Protection can appoint a ‘deputy’ to act in the same way as an attorney. The court order will set out what decisions the deputy can make on behalf of the person who lacks mental capacity.

For more information please see our Broadband & Phone Vulnerable Customer Policy. To discuss any of these options please contact us.

You can also find useful information on Powers of attorney and third party bill management on Ofcoms website.